Monday, October 29, 2012

My Halloween Costume; A Review of Simplicity 1773



Simplicity 1773



Pattern Description:

Misses' medieval dress in two lengths has square neckline and flared skirt. Under dress A, C has back zipper, long sleeve and ruched or trimmed neckline. Overdress B, D has front lacing and short puffed sleeves. The short version of the over dress has a slit on each side of the skirt portion.

Pattern Sizing:

Sized from 6-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

I think so!

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Very easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I did have to tack the overdress to the under dress to my bra. It just wouldn't stay up. I should have muslin-ed it first and decreased the measurement in the square neckline and it would have been fine. However, one of the options is to wear it off the shoulder and it did look cute that way!

Fabric Used:

The under dress is a crepe-backed satin (the same pretty blue that was from Little Man's costume. ) The overdress is a faux suede and lined with kona cotton.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

None. I did opt to do a regular hem on this dress, I may have done the jagged look if I used taffeta but satin frays like a motha.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I probably will not need another one of these. However I have already thought of other ways to wear this costume in the future to recycle it. Like I'll make a drawstring neckline shift type dress to wear under it and a white sleep cap to wear with the over dress. OR wear a LONG wig and be Rapunzel. OR throw on some wings, mask and glitter and be some kind of woodland fairy.

Conclusion:

Very cute costume. It was a little daunting when cutting out all the pattern peices. The overdress has some peices that get cut out 12 times between the lining, interfacing and fabric but it came together relatively quickly even though I hate to iron and only can sew a little bit at a time. 




In other news Oh My Goodness the rain is REALLY coming down here in Pennsylvania. Thank you Sandy lol

Is anyone else in my situation? What did you buy/get to prepare? 
I got pop-tarts, PB crackers, water and canned ravioli. . .Sad, I know. Luckily I already have some stuff at home. Until you actually TRY to find things that do not need refrigerated/cooked you do not know how hard it is to find. I'm sure ravioli will be gross room temp but it's better than being hungry haha

(In my defense the stores were already sold out of camp cook stove's and the liquor store was closed) 



Dawn’s Disaster

No comments:

Post a Comment